Production Evaluation

For both the segment that I created and the overall production, there were quite a few research methods which I undertook both personally and as a team in order to positively benefit the production. Individually, I did research into a news production, mine was BBC news. I had to find out a variety of things and facts about that news production. This was an effective piece of research that I did as it allowed me to gain and collect ideas which I could put forward and implement into the TV production we were making as a class. This also allowed the production to have that little bit more of a professional feel as we would be following the sort of flow that a professional news production would have. Another piece of research that I did, was I created a survey. In this survey, the main things I wanted to ask and get from the survey were what type of news they like, how long they watch for, and other questions like that regarding information about different aspects of what they like about the news. As well as doing an individual survey, in our segment groups, we created another survey. This survey contained some of the best questions which we had collected from everyone in our group which allowed us to therefore, create a valid and professional survey full of questions which would help both our segment group and the overall production when it came to the segment leaders feeding back information to the Director. By conducting this type of primary research it allowed the director to collect the right feedback from the people who have answered and put forward some of the suggestions from the surveys and to implement them in the planning of the production to meet the audiences needs and expectations from a standard professional news production.

During the production I worked with almost everyone, as a result of this I had to show my professionalism in order to make sure I was doing my job properly and that I followed any orders or information that was passed on to me from the director. In the live production I was a Camera Operator and throughout I had to have a headset on to relay any information back and forth with the director. I had to stay with my camera at all times to make sure that it stayed in focus and everything was in frame. I worked closely with the floor manager, constantly communicating and it was clear to see that it allowed the flow of the production to be and feel professional. As I was in the studio the whole time it allowed to me to not only do my job as the camera operator but use my analytical skills and keep in touch with the director if anything that the presenters were saying didn't sound right. Which he could obviously take note of through the rehearsals and send that information off to the right people. However, it wasn't just during the live production that I needed to stay professional. When we were split up into our segment groups in post-production, my group specifically had to interview some staff members around the college. In order to ask them myself and my team had to stay professional and formal throughout the whole process. From asking them if they could be interviewed, all the way to the end of the final question in the interview. As a result of us staying formal during the filming of our segments, it allowed us to get a good, well put together segment for the production which met the director's expectations which he set for every segment group.

In the production, we wanted a professional, but relaxed feel to it. And it was clearly visible to the audience that we portrayed both of those. The type of communication methods which were used in the production to show this professional/casual look had to do with the presenters. The presenters, they were the face of the production and are what are seen by everyone watching. To show the casual look we got them to feel as though they were watching tv at home, so laid back and arms perched on the sofa etc. We used similar sort of methods when doing photography in the carousel. We want to take creative and fun photo's which weren't in a professional manner, allowing the people in shot to show off their active personalities and ideas in front of the camera, similar to what we have allowed the presenters in the news production to do. This allows the audience watching to relate, as the audience of the college news production was students, and by doing research such as the survey's, it was clear to see they prefer the more relaxed and casual news, so we related some of the research and those survey results to the production itself. To coincide with this the presenters were also asked to wear casual clothes and to speak informally, which are also 2 major things we picked up from our survey answers. The professionalism presented in the live production was mostly to do with the set up of the production rather than the presenters as it was set up like a professional news production, with a professional background & props etc. In some aspects, it was similar but different to BIC advert which we created. Both productions required professionalism and had parts of the setups in a professional manner, although the BIC pen advert was portrayed immediately by the setup & clothing as more of a comical and jokey way of producing the advert as it included cardboard space helmets and an unprofessional looking spaceship. The news production just had that more professional, tv ready feel and look to it, with that casual way of presenting to still keep that relationship and engagement between the presenters and the audience.


Comments

Popular Posts